[CentOS] booting from copied ext3 software raid fs to normal fs

dan1 dan1 at edenpics.com
Tue Sep 27 05:49:23 UTC 2005

>> I tried your suggestion, but it can't even start linux in single mode.
>> I think that there is a mount problem, but I have double checked the
>> fstab
>> file seated on the backup drive and it seems fine to me. Therefore I
>> can't
>> understand what prevents the mount to be made properly. Would the vmlinuz
>> or
>> initrd images be dependent of the md or hd filesystem type or are they
>> exactly the same for both ? Else what other file should I touch that
>> involves the mounting operation ?
>
>If you boot the install CD in rescue mode, does it find the
>installed system correctly and mount it under /mnt/sysimage?
>You mentioned an attempt to set up md devices before - are
>the partition types set to ext3 in fdisk?  Are you sure
>you have the correct contents in /boot/grub/grub.conf
>(the one in /etc is  a symlink that can be broken if
>things aren't mounted as expected when you modify it).
>
>--
>  Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

Hello, Les.

Yes, I can run linux in rescue mode with the CD and see the correct root
partition. I have also checked the contents of the /boot/grub/grub.conf and
it is ok. In fstab I have also put ext3 for that backup disk.
below are my important files on the backup disk:

The output of the boot sequence output is the following:

Mounting sysfs
Creating /dev
Starting udev
md: raid1 personnality registered as nr 3
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
SElinux: Disabled at runtime
SElinux: Unregistering netfilter hooks

Then, it hangs here undefinitely.

Here is my menu.lst grub file on the backup disk I want to boot from:
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.9-11.106.unsupported)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported root=/dev/hda3
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported.img

Here is it's fstab:
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext3    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               /                       ext3    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Thanks for any idea !

Regards,
Daniel