[CentOS] centos 4 installed on P4 won't boot on P3

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Thu Sep 29 12:50:32 UTC 2005

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> Application code compiled for a P4 (using full P4 optimizations)
>> usually won't run on a P3, I suspect the same for kernels. I betcha
>> you need to
> dude.... the i686 kernel works fine on P-2 / P-3 / P-4. there is _no_
> code in CentOS3/i386 and CentOS4/i386 that wont run on a machine that
> is an i686 Arch type.
> Unless you are talking about P-4's with EM64T / x8664. But I presume,
> knowing the system is a P-3, Tom didnt install x86_64 on there.
> ( I dont think you would even see the grub prompt in that case, but I
> havent tried running a x86_64 OS on a P-3 )
> - KB

Happy to stand corrected, I wasn't sure about that. SuSE installs a
different kernel (from the same distro) on P3's & P4's ....

	William A. Mahaffey III
	Remember, ignorance is bliss, but
	willful ignorance is LIBERALISM !!!!