[CentOS] Headline - Linux misses Windows of opportunity

Ingimar Robertsson iar at skyrr.is
Thu Sep 29 16:27:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:04:52AM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Red Hat has a bug in
> bugzilla on this issue for RHEL3 that predates U4, yet the bug won't be
> addressed until U7!  And even then the two-line patch has to be backported;
> can't let the customer see a higher version number!

That is interesting.  I thought this was their policy until yesterday
when there was an update on wget which bumped the wget version from 1.9.1
to 1.10.1.  And this update in fact broke a couple of my scripts which
used the "--http-passwd" option which in 1.10.1 is "--http-password" with
no backward compatibility to the older "--http-passwd" option.

In my case this wasn't serious, just short review of the man page, fix
the scripts and rerun.  But had this be some commercial software from a
big vendor, things could have broken badly.

This article looks like a slow news day story but has valid points but
the one thing I can't understand is how Microsoft automatic updates can
be less error prone than RedHat's.  I have seen patches and of course
service packs create so much havoc in Windows that I personally don't
think they still have had any updates on their system and are therefore
still happy with it. ;-)  This is something that I've never seen (until
the above mentioned wget issue) with RedHat Enterprise.

Best regards.

Ingimar