[CentOS] Headline - Linux misses Windows of opportunity

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Sep 30 08:21:00 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Oh, quick quiz: what happens to a CentOS box when you reboot after running out
> of disk space on the / filesystem?  You get a graphical login just fine, but
> then you can't login (you login, and it returns you to a login).  Not hard to
> fix, but very mysterious to the newbie.

I lost my Revelation password database because a disk-full condition
recently. An 2 week old backup didn't have some important passwords.

Same has happened with Gaim buddylists, Mozilla/Firefox/Galeon bookmarks,
history and passwords, rrdtool files, and many more...

Most Unix programs trash/corrupt files when they save data and the disk is
full. The real bad thing is that the user only finds out when it is
already too late and irrepairable.

BTW A tool that mails out when the disk is full is not a good solution...

Kind regards,