[CentOS] [OT] 3Ware 9.2.1.1 firmware for 9000 series released ...

Fri Sep 9 17:18:24 UTC 2005
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 at 7:20pm, Remco Barendse wrote

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 at 9:20am, Bryan J. Smith wrote
> >
> >> Claims to have fixed the write performance issues with
> >> multiple volumes.  Haven't tried it personally (I do not have
> >> a 9500S card, and I have only installed one once for a
> >> client).
> >>
> >> NOTE:  This (9.2.1.1) is an actual, formal, supported release
> >> -- not an unsupported engineering release.
> >
> > It does seem a bit rushed, though, as the firmware included in the driver
> > is *older* than the firmware one downloads separately as part of the
> > codeset.  ??
>
> Is it possible to upgrade the firmware from CentOS? I'm using CentOS 4
> with the built-in kernel module.
>
> The box doesn't have a floppy drive or anything so it's no so easy to
> update from floppy. My boot volume is on the 3Ware

You can use the 'fw' driver that 3ware distributes.  But, as I mentioned
above, in this case it doesn't include the latest firmware, which is the
one that actually fixes the multiple-unit bug.  So you have to manually
flash it from a DOS environment.  If you can't shoehorn a floppy in
temporarily, have a look at PXE.  Or, just wait -- 3ware says on the
website they'll be releasing an updated driver with the right firmware.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering