[CentOS] New User: Kudos, small/old platform, RPM Illegal

Sat Sep 10 20:44:33 UTC 2005
Bill Maltby <wild-bill at triad.rr.com>

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org>
Bill Maltby <wild-bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

>> Picked an AMD 5x86 (equivalent to a Pentium 75 MHz)

<snip>

I run IPCop on i486, i586 (true Pentium) and i686 (Pentium
Pro) systems.

>> Anyway, my problem is that RPM traps with illegal
>> instruction when a query all, among other combinations,
>> is attempted.
>> It does not do it on my AMD XP, but does do it on the old
>> one. Possible that RPM was compiled with a later arch
>> specified?

Yes.  The K6 is largely i686 compatible (sans cmov), so it at
least runs the i586 installer.  The 5x86 is definitely an
i486.

As much as some would mind me recommending another solution
on the CentOS list, I feel I must.  Consider IPCop 1.4.  It
is a "Linux from scratch" distro (no longer Red Hat Linux
based as of 1.3.0 I believe, maybe it was 1.2.0?).

Bryan, IPCop installed and working fine. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope
I edited this right. I'm not familiar with replying from a DIGEST form.