[CentOS] Hard drive DMA messages upon shutdown

Mon Sep 12 19:56:08 UTC 2005
Edward Diener <eddielee at tropicsoft.com>

I have 4 hard drives on my system. CentOS is in a logical partition on the first
hard drive and there is a swap partition in a logical partition on the first
hard drive which I have also told it to use. The other three hard drives contain
various partitions, all of which I have hidden from CentOS which are primary
partitions. I have as well hidden the primary partitions on the first hard drive
also. While there are other Linux parttions I do not want CentOS to use them in
any way right now.

Yet when I restart or shutdown CentOS I get messages saying that there are DMA
errors waiting for some hard disk event on another hard dribe before the OS
eventually reboots or shuts down my system. I have checked the mount and nothing
but the two partitions with which I have set up to run CentOS are mounted. Why
then is CentOS trying to access other hard drives upon shutdown ? Is there some
way that I can curtail the OS from doing so ?