[CentOS] Is it bad for my web document folder to be user accessible?

Mon Sep 19 16:06:16 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

PHP and MySQL seem to working on my CentOS installation.
I'd like to install phpMyAdmin as well, so I downloaded the necessary
files from phpMyAdmin's homepage and copied them to /var/www/html...

... except that's where the process stopped. My regular user account
doesn't have permission to write into the /var/www/html folder.

Should I just chmod the folder to 777? Is there a reason it's not
already user accessible?

This is a local machine where I'll be testing web pages of my own
design, and not accessible from the web.

Or at least I hope not. If I'm running an Apache server just for local
files, it's not being seen on the web, is it?

Dave