[CentOS] Moving the Home dir to new server

Thu Sep 1 22:51:25 UTC 2005
Dave <wintermutecx at gmail.com>

On 9/1/05, Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> I have a new Centos installation that has an empty /home dir and there
> are no users...just root.  I want to move the home directory from
> another server to the new one.  At this time the old /home directory has
> been tarred with "-prf".  That will keep permissions which could be a
> problem.

 I only have a few users on my machine. What I do is, use useradd or
what not to create the users in the same order as the UID. Copy over
the home dirs, moving the newlly created ones elsewhere. Then copy and
paste the crypted password in the shadow file.

 You could paste the users from /etc/passwd shadow and group if you
have a lot of users instead of creating the accounts.