[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation

Sun Sep 4 03:54:09 UTC 2005
Sean O'Connell <oconnell at soe.ucsd.edu>

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 20:43 -0700, I wrote:

> It looks like /dev/pilot is owned by you, but (iirc) the palms/visors
> and such use /dev/pilot and one other USB channel to do the sync. Based
> on your earlier comments, it look like it might require you to also
> own /dev/ttyUSB0. One thing that you might be able to do is use
>
> /etc/security/console.perms
>
> Add the following entries (below the comments)
>
> # device classes -- these are shell-style globs
> <pilot> /dev/ttyUSB*
>
> # permission definitions
> <console>  0660 <pilot>     0660 root.uucp
>
> Then log off and back in. This should set things up so that the person
> logged in on the machine console (X or virtual console) will own these
> devices.

Now that I think about it, will the /etc/console.perms stuff work with
udev devices?

I don't have a palm, so it's a bit difficult to test. This was based on
some work I did for someone under RHL 9. It does look like you might be
able to cheese the /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions to set
the permissions to something other than:

ttyUSB*:root:uucp:0660

Maybe just make them world writable (fine for single user machines)

ttyUSB*:root:uucp:0666

OR

ttyUSB*:root:pilot:0660

and add yourself to the pilot group. OR, simply add yourself to the uucp
group :)

--
Sean