[CentOS] Blew away MySQL

Sun Sep 4 17:55:27 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 9/4/05, Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I blew MySQL away by replacing the MySQL control tables
> with others and not making a copy of the folder.
>
> My data is backed up, so that is not a problem, but I cannot reinstall
> MySQL and create the mysql directory with the control tables (e.g. user,
> db, host).  I have run "yum remove mysql" and "yum install mysql" and
> "yum install mysql-server" and the control files are not recreated.
>
> Any suggestions?

Are you removing /var/lib/mysql after you "yum remove mysql-server" ?
The mysql-server package will not overwrite the files that currently
exist as a safety measure for your data, but if you're already stuck,
the install won't fix the problem either. Remove the /var/lib/mysql
files, then 'yum install mysql-server' then restore your data. Should
solve your troubles.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT