[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Mon Sep 5 18:06:48 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 07:58 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> I have seen messages posted on the Fedora oriented forums that imply
> that "yum" is  antiquated.  Not being a Linux guru, I do not have the
> experience to make a thorough evaluation, but so far it has been just
> great.

Some of the same people, among others, will also say APT is "not native"
to RPM, and only works well for DPKG.  In reality, it's really more
about the repositories than the tools.

Although SmartPM looks to finally remove a lot of the issues.

I think the biggest gripe about YUM is the lack of a standard GUI, and
YumEx has had compatibility issues in the past with newer YUM versions.
SmartPM focuses on solving cross-repository issues and comes with a GUI
as standard.

All-in-all, use the tool that is supported by the distro.  That is YUM.
No, there is no GUI for it that is supported officially, hence some of
the complaints.  But I'm keeping my eye on SmartPM for the future.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com