[CentOS] commercial load balancer suggestions

Tue Sep 6 16:45:36 UTC 2005
Barry Brimer <barry.brimer at bigfoot.com>

Quoting Robin Mordasiewicz <robin at bullseye.tv>:

> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Barry Brimer wrote:
>
> > Quoting Robin Mordasiewicz <robin at bullseye.tv>:
> >
> >> Hi we bought an astaro firewall and are quite happy with it, now we need
> >> to buy a commercially supported LVS (linux virtual server) appliance.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any good experience using any commercial LVS devices with
> >> web based GUI.
> >
> > Have you considered Red Hat Cluster Suite?
> >
> no I did not know it does network load balancing. Does it have a web based
> gui ?

Yes.  The web-based configuration tool is called Piranha.  It also supports the
failover of two load balancers, in essence creating a high-availibility load
balancer.  As it is software only, you use standard ethernet switches to plug
your load-balanced servers into, which keeps the per-port costs to a minimum.
This also makes it more affordable to do interface bonding on your servers.
CentOS has released this software for CentOS 3 under the csgfs directory in the
mirror network if you want to use it.  Of course to meet your requirement of a
commercial solution you would probably choose RHEL with RHCS so you can have
commercial support.

Barry