[CentOS] Paranoid Firewalling

Wed Sep 7 00:16:38 UTC 2005
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

Instead of keeping the ssh port open, use something like the following:

-A INPUT -p tcp --dport SECRETPORT# -m recent --set
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport ssh -m state --state NEW -m recent --update
   --seconds 43200 -j ACCEPT

and then before ssh'ing in from outside telnet the SECRETPORT# on the
machine in order to open the ssh port for the next 12 hours.
Gets rid of script kiddies.

Cheers,
MaZe.