[CentOS] Cookbook receipe for SCSI tape install requested.

Wed Sep 7 03:09:53 UTC 2005
Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu>

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:54:57PM -0400, James B. Byrne  enlightened us:
> > You will have to select the correct module for your controler, and
> > configure it (/etc/modprobe.conf). lspci might give you the information
> > you need to get started.
>
> Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology for my request.  I am
> seeking assistance in configuring linux to recognize and use a scsi
> tape drive.  The scsi controller was added to this system for the
> sole purpose of supporting the tape unit long after the os was
> loaded.  I do not know how to tell the linux kernel to select and
> load the necessary module to access the scsi controller and thence
> the tape drive.  That is why I sought a cookbook solution to this
> problem. There must be somewhere, a well defined series of steps that
> one goes through to identify, select, and configure the appropriate
> module for a specific scsi adapter.  I lack this knowledge and this
> is what I seek.
>
> lspci yields this:
>
> 05:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Initio Corporation 360P (rev 02)
>
> /etc/modeprobe.conf contains this:
>
> alias eth0 e100
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
>
> SO. What do 	I put into modprobe.conf to get the system to recognize
> the scsi controller?  Is there a utility to detect and do this?  I
> appreciate all the assistance but I need a more basic, step by step,
> explanation of how to go about this.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Try "modprobe initio" to see if that is the correct driver for your card.
You can run "dmesg" after the modprobe to see the results of the module
being loaded. If you see something along the lines of

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.2.36
        <Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 SCSI adapter>
        aic7899: Ultra160 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/253 SCBs

You'll know it loaded. Of course youse will make reference to Initio, not
Adaptec, but you get the idea. If that works, then you should be able to add
the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias scsi_hostadapter initio

If that doesn't work, you'll have to track down the right module for your
card. Google is your friend there...

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak