[CentOS] What's going on with my Linux Swap?

Thu Sep 8 14:16:06 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

>mkswap /dev/hdb2

I didn't even get to the second command you mentioned:
[root at localhost ~]# mkswap /dev/hdb2
mkswap: error: swap area needs to be at least 40kB
Usage: mkswap [-c] [-v0|-v1] [-pPAGESZ] /dev/name [blocks]

That's weird. I thought my swap partition was 747022+ blocks, which, not
knowing what a block is, sounds like a lot more than 40kB.

>swapon /dev/hdb2
>
>And add this to your /etc/fstab:
>  /dev/hdb2    swap    swap    defaults   0 0

I did that. I noticed in my fstab file that there is also this:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                   swap    defaults        0 0
... That's not going to cause any conflicts or anything, is it?

>P.S.  I hope /dev/hdb2 isn't a slave ATA device?  Or is it an SATA
>device?

I don't know. /dev/hdb2 is another partition on the same hard drive that
my Linux installation is on. Does that answer the question? Are you
hoping it's not a slave because if it is a slave, my computer will
explode sending fiery shrapnel of death directly into my brain?

Dave