[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Thu Sep 8 18:20:11 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I provide the QA people with a machine with the latest
> updates and when they say everything works I try to
> duplicate those updates into the production boxes.  As
> you imply, this is something nearly everyone has to do,
> so I find it surprising that the package management tools
> don't give you a simple way to do it.

???  Have you actually tried building a YUM repository  ???
It's pretty straight-forward.

And you can get your package list from RPM.
A quick diff makes it cake.

> Also note that there are as many risks in waiting for
> testing and QA approval as not and you have to balance
them.

I'm confused.  You're setting up a system, then duplicating
the same packages.  How would maintaining a YUM repository
internally be any different?

I typically maintain 3.
1.  Rsync of the latest packates from an external source
2.  Packages under test
3.  Packages designated as production

Using rsync, yum and a few other tools (including RCS
ci/co/diff), I find it rather simplistic and easy to do.

> So, I consider the 'real' test to be the
> first small set of of production boxes that are updated
> after QA's blessing and watch for problems before rolling
> out to the rest.

Then maintain such a repository separate from the others.