[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Fri Sep 9 06:21:21 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

This is growing tiresome.  I hope this e-mail ends it.

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 22:16 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> When the repository maintainer has
> all the files in place this file would be modified - and
> some special consideration should be applied to make sure
> it shows up last during mirror updates.  This extra part could
> be avoided if the 'latest timestamp' is published somewhere
> and you could manually pass it to yum during the update.

And I have told you this is _more_involved_ than you think!
If you knew how even CVS actually works, you would understand this.

Here, do this comparison:

1.  Setup CVS

Check-in thousands of large, binary files totaling GBs of data at
different times, revisioning several.  You can use either pserver mode
or ssh/local (including NFS mount).

2.  Setup Apache

Create 2 or 3 trees of different sets of files that total a few GBs.
Now share them out via an Apache directive (or under the Apache root).

3.  Run the test ...

Do #1, check out those large, binary files using different dates
Do #2, wget portions of each Apache tree

When you do this, run network traffic analysis, vmstat, iostat and make
comparisons.

What do you think is going to be the difference between CVS and just an
Apache tree?  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com