[CentOS] [OT] 3Ware 9.2.1.1 firmware for 9000 series released ...

Fri Sep 9 18:52:16 UTC 2005
Remco Barendse <redhat at barendse.to>

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> Remco Barendse <redhat at barendse.to> wrote:
>> The box doesn't have a floppy drive or anything so it's no
>> so easy to update from floppy.
>
> That's precisely why I keep a 250MB "dd" image with DR-DOS
> 7.03 on it.  I can plop it on any server.
>
> That's also why I _always_ leave several primary partitions
> and a few GBs free at the beginning of the disk -- _always_.
> I.e., my root (/) or /boot is _always_ /dev/sda3, and
> everything else goes in /dev/sda4 (which may be LVM/LVM2).
>
> I can plop that 250MB "dd" image down as /dev/sda1 at a
> moments notice, and reconfigure GRUB to chainload it.
>
>> My boot volume is on the 3Ware
>
> I know.  I just boot DR-DOS 7.03 "clean".  Even though the
> "C:" it's on the 3Ware volume, the firmware update works.

Thanks for the tips. I don't know if I'd want an extra partition on all
my servers.

An alternative idea, create a DOS boot disc with the firmware update, burn
that as a bootable cdrom and perform the upgrade.

I tried that last week but for some reason the cd didn't boot but that's
probably more because I goofed up creating the cd :)

And I don't care about the cost of a cd recordable compared to not
upgrading the controller