[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Fri Sep 9 21:16:48 UTC 2005
Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 14:45, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>Well, let's see, you want to have everyone in the world except
>>you to have to maintain a dozen repository "states" (rather
>>ill-defined word) so you can have the luxury of not doing so
>>yourself. And, never having maintained one (let alone a dozen)
>>repository "states" (whatever they are), you presume that it
>>is easy.
>

> No, that's what I want to avoid.  Everyone else responding
> *is* maintaining snapshot copies of repositories and I
> don't think anyone should have to.  Yum's view of a
> repository consists of all the hdr files it has downloaded
> from it.  I want it to pretend that files added after
> a certain time weren't there, thus creating a view of
> the state of the repository at a prior time.  Given
> only that, nothing anyone has said yet has convinced
> me that that yum would not make the same decisions
> about update versions again.

I thought I mentioned something about file timestamps not
guaranteeing file content. The date of a file is simply
the moment in time when it got placed onto the web server.
I'm not sure yum can even get that information, but if it
could, it would be useless. A repository is really just a
web page, and yum is just a wget with some control files
which tell it what to pull. So I don't think that yum's view
of a repository is quite what you think. The yum program
is very nice for what it does, and it does it very well.
It's very nice to use. I like it. It does some very clever
things. But due to the nature of what a repository is, I
don't see how yum could be used to accomplish the end you
have in mind. Even if it had access to file dates. And making
a repository contain the kind of information it would have
to have in order to accomplish your goal would take quite
a degree of co-operation among developers.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.