[CentOS] The current state of palm syncing on Linux?

Sat Sep 10 12:37:57 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 17:53 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >I'm sure you have your reasons to like Thunderbird over Evolution
> >
> Not particularly good reasons, really. Just that I liked FireFox, and
> Thunderbird is by the same people. That and I was using Thunderbird on
> Windows before, so it seemed like the easiest transition.
>
> I'm willing to give Evolution a go, though, if it syncs "easily" with
> the Palm.
>
> I installed it and I'm experimenting with it, and I came across a slight
> snag. I wanted to see if I could import my address book from Thunderbird
> to Evolution, and found this script on the web:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=288831
> So now I have a perl script which can theoretically do just what I
> want... but I don't know how to run a perl script. It seems it's one of
> these things that's so obvious to people who know that they don't bother
> explaining it anywhere. I've tried typing the name of the script,
> puttins "sh" and "perl" in front of it... but no results.
> And there's no documentation for this particular script because, well,
> it's obvious to everyone else.
> How do I run this thing?
----
it would have been easier if you had just quoted the script than to make
me download the thing.

It would appear that you first export your contacts to some tsv file (I
don't have Thunderbird installed)

then usage would be..

perl tsv2vcf.pl file_exported_by_tbird.tsv \
file_to_be_imported_into_evolution.vcf

this comes from my read on lines 35 & 36
my $in  = $ARGV[0];
my $out = $ARGV[1];
----

> >FreeCoins seems to have one primary driver behind it and the forum there
> >apparently has a gnucash developer that's interested in integration but
> >it does seem that development is slow - I'm going to presume that you
> >saw this forum note but just in case you didn't...
> >
> Yes, I came across that thread. I'm willing to accept that I may not get
> GnuCash syncing with my palm the same way PocketQuicken sync'ed with
> Quicken. Can't have everything. But I do want to know where I should be
> listening for when the feature hopefuly becomes available.
----
don't know - not high on the vitality scale - contact the authors
directly.

Craig