[CentOS] Mailinglist moderation

Sat Sep 10 19:13:47 UTC 2005
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Peter Arremann wrote:

> On Saturday 10 September 2005 06:34, Maciej ÿÿenczykowski wrote:
> > I don't think that's what our project leads should be devoting their time
> > towards...
>
> I agree with you there. Filter out on your client what you don't want to see -
> but don't expect geeks like the guys that develop CentOS to waste their time
> with mundane things like moderating a list...

I think you have a specific definition of 'list moderation'. Mailman
allows to moderate individuals or topics on a case by case basis. If a
thread becomes spurious and loaded with lots of negative comments a
'known' moderator could simply state that a topic has to be ended or moved
to somewhere else (private or other mailinglist). And if necessary he can
moderate individuals or topics. (temporary)

This moderation also slows down the interaction, because in most cases
people are answering mails at the same time and repeating stuff they've
just said because someone else just replied and didn't read the mail
you've just send. (silly but that's what happens at a fast pace)

I did not imply moderating each and every post all the time.

Once we have a moderator who can intervene (and is known), I bet most
people will behave and think before posting anything, because there might
be a penalty (read: being moderated temporary).

So it's mostly a change in attitude to the list.

The moderator also doesn't have to be a CentOS developer per se, in fact,
it may be better if not. But at this point the CentOS developers have to
decide whether or not to do this. That's why I addressed them.

Kind regards,