[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some?

Sat Sep 10 21:31:14 UTC 2005
Edward Diener <eddielee at tropicsoft.com>

Todd Cary wrote:
> I have seen messages posted on the Fedora oriented forums that imply
> that "yum" is  antiquated.  Not being a Linux guru, I do not have the
> experience to make a thorough evaluation, but so far it has been just
> great.

Unlike Linux gurus, for whom the rest of the user world is like themselves,
there are a great many users who like ease of use and graphical applications and
yum is strictly command line. I know yumex exists but it does not come
automatically installed when one installs CentOS ( nor does Synaptic for that
matter ). So perhaps yum would be more popular if yumex, or whatever is the
popular GUI front end for yum now, were also installed, and added to the menu
system, when CentOS is installed.

I have used both yumex and synaptic, and both have strengths and weaknesses. But
quite frankly I find Synaptic easier and clearer to use. I realize that for
experienced Linux users that argument holds no weight but for the casual Linux
desktop user it is very important.