[CentOS] Re: Mailinglist moderation -- Requiring approval for individuals with mailman

Sun Sep 11 05:27:08 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 15:24 -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> Sorry I misunderstood you then... This makes a lot more sense :-)

What Dag is referring to is the ability of Mailman to easily and
explicitly filter any sender or subject (or even body/content).

I have absolutely _no_ issue if even a small (but objective) minority
wants my posts (i.e., anything from b.j.smith at ieee.org, as that's all I
use now thanx to Yahoo Mail) to be held for "approval" before allowing
them to hit the lists.  It doesn't bother me one bit, because I don't
post things just to hear myself talk, but in the honest, technical
pursuit for accuracy, typically via (often annoying, I'll admit, but
complete) explanation of first-hand experience.

I'm not here to posting like some /.'er "First Post Whore."
Again, I'm open to having _all_ my posts manually approved.

The only thing I ask is that you tell me when you enable it for 2
reasons:

1.  I don't wonder if I'm having e-mail issues (and end up sending
multiple posts if I don't see my posts hit the mailing list after
several hours) and, more importantly,

2.  In the cases of downtime or of other, immediate use, I can "TO" the
original poster and "CC" the list.  The flip side and "bonus" of this is
that to an observant receiver, he can just hit "reply" (instead of
"replay to all") and get help off-list, avoiding a lot of the
"inaccurate addendum" that often results in such threads (which I then
feel compelled to respond to for accuracy -- a very annoying approach to
some, which feel I'm being "arrogant").

[ HISTORICAL NOTE:  In fact, this worked very well when I had a "4-year
open flame war" with Steve Litt over at LEAP, where my technical
discussions got constantly belittled by his 3rd hand assumptions and
other posturing. ]

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com