[CentOS] mkfs.ext3 on a 9TB volume

Mon Sep 12 04:12:41 UTC 2005
Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>

On Monday 12 September 2005 00:01, Francois Caen wrote:
> I've seen you mention that 1TB limit. Could you please post some
> references to it?
> I'm now familiar with limits at 2TB (gpt), 4TB (ext3), 16TB (ext2) but
> you're the only person talking about a 1TB barrier.
You'll find that a lot with Bryan that he makes up his own terms or puts his
opinion down as facts.

But seriously - 1TB is just a good round number. Unlike the US tax code that
always keeps you guessing, saying "No more than 1TB for ext3" is a quick and
easy rule - and considering the fsck times you can get with a whole lot of
small files 1TB is a good number.

To sum it up, 1TB is no software limit but rather a number Bryan, me and a
whole bunch of others (just search google) see as the maximum filesystem size
they feel comfortable with.

Peter.