[CentOS] Re: [Cantos] Boot process slow with RGB quiet on

Mon Sep 12 14:20:44 UTC 2005
Tony Schreiner <schreian at bc.edu>

On Sep 12, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Jay Leafey wrote:

> Brian T. Brunner wrote:
> > [quote]"microcode device doesn't exist?"[/quote]
> > Try grepping for 'microcode' in /var/log/messages, try dmesg | grep
> > microcode, either or both may give you the exact text.
> > chkconfig --list | grep microcode may also give you a hit, if yes,
> > the problem is easy to cure: turn off the service (man chkconfig).
>
> My Athlon XP 2600+ system gives me this every boot with no apparent
> problems.  I've seen this with other non-Intel CPUs too.  I suspect
> this is NOT what is causing your boot delay.
>
> Just my $.02!
> --
> Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
> jay.leafey at mindless.com

The message comes from  (on one of my systems) /etc/init.d/microcode_ctl

which is part of the kernel-utils package.

I  started getting this message when I upgraded to CentOS 4. My
installed kernel-utils is version 2.4-13.1.66. Is this meant for
version 2.4 kernels and if so, is there a version for 2.6 kernels? I
don't see anything listed with "yum list available"

Tony Schreiner
Boston College