[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Wed Sep 14 05:17:28 UTC 2005
Steven Vishoot <sir_funzone at yahoo.com>

--- "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 21:21 -0500, Les Mikesell
> wrote:
> > Yes, there is no argument that yum would have to
> change.
> > However it could be a small change.
>
> Ah ... no, it's _more_ than a "small change."
> Simply timestamping and
> tracking timestamps will _not_ do what you want.
>
> > Yes, but what you really want to do is give the
> client
> > the least he needs to make what it has into what
> it
> > wants.  You are always going to be going forward
> and
> > clients that update regularly will always need
> only
> > the diff between the current and last prior RPM.
>
> But that adds to the start-up time.  The more
> meta-data you generate to
> do what you want, the longer this stuff will take on
> the client side.
>
> > If you work only 2 revs at a time there is no
> difference.
>
> Can you guarantee this?
>
> > Yes, one file for the difference between any two
> revs which
> > is almost always what you want - or you should be
> updating
> > more often.  If you need to repeat the process
> with multiple
> > steps, the client can easily calculate whether it
> is better
> > to collect multiple deltas and apply them or just
> grab the
> > complete version it wants.
>
> Again, this is not a "small change" like you think
> it is.
>
> > So be sensible about what you keep around and make
> the
> > client fall back to existing procedure if the
> delta
> > it might use isn't there.
>
> Again, this is not a "small change."  And you're
> going to start
> introducing loads at the server if you try to keep
> transfer sizes down.
>
> > Keep only 1 or 2 delta/patch files for the latest
> revs where
> > the traffic will actually be happening and thus
> reduced.  In
> > the unlikely event you want something else, use
> the existing
> > procedure.
>
> More subjective approaches.  What happens if the
> respositories don't do
> what you want?  Better yet, how can you ensure all
> repositories are so
> synchronized?
>
> I mean, I saw complaints about repositories not
> offering the same
> packages.  It will only get worse when you start
> timestamping, using
> deltas, etc...
>
> > I didn't realize that you wouldn't call them
> deltas unless
> > you cram more than one in the same file.  Do you
> call the
> > first one a patch, then change the name when you
> append the
> [...]
sir_funzone pulls out the shotgun and aims, calls the
word pull, seeing the thread Re: [CentOS] Why is yum
not liked by some? in his gunsite. Pulls the trigger
and hears the load pop of the shotgun going off,
hoping the sluge will hit its target. Whamo target
sought and hopefully destroyed with exploding force
that it is never seen again..... waiting to see if
that little rascal has survived, sir_funzone reloads
his shotgun and points it toward the direction of the
thread Re: [CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?
hoping not to see it come alive again...

Steven

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."