[CentOS] errors received in logs

Wed Sep 14 16:41:17 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 09:35 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 09:28 -0700, Steven Vishoot wrote:
> > now that i am done ranting. i have a question. I
> > received this error today and i think it was today
> > only so far, but the error is as follows.
> >
> > hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> > Error }
> > hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command
> >
> > i did some googling and found some stuff...but some
> > said go out and get another drive this one is going to
> > hard drive heaven very soon... and other said it could
> > be a software doing this and keep an eye on it. then i
> > saw some say about a program called smartctl. is this
> > a program that centos has...if not what is it and
> > where is a good place to get it and is it worth
> > running it?
> >
> > i am running centos 3.5 120gig maxtor. with a 1.8
> > intel cpu 512 mem.
> ----
> my initial reaction is one that favors my bias against Maxtor drives
> which would say to ditch the drive now.

Same here. I've had nothing but trouble with Maxtor drives. I always use
Seagate or Western Digital. I also always have two hard drives (I only
use IDE currently) so I can back stuff up to one hard drive. It sucks,
but hard drives fail more than anything else for me at least. So I just
always keep two hard drives installed so my stuff gets backed up nightly
by a cron job and the really important stuff burned to DVD.

Preston