[CentOS] Re: 4.1 x86_64 and stability

Wed Sep 14 17:36:59 UTC 2005
Alex White <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> Alex White wrote:
>
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 19:40 -0500, Ryan Lum wrote:
>>

>> <snipped>
>>
>>> My question is:  is the hardware support for

>>> Personally, if I was going to run a server, I would use the x86_64
>>> distro ... but if I was going to run a workstation, I would use the i386
>>> distro.
>>> To be perfectly honest, if i386 is stable for you and x86_64 is not, I
>>> would recommend you use the i386 distro ... in my experience, the
>>> difference between the two is not really that noticeable when using the
>>> system.
>>

>> <snipped>
<snipped>
>> I'm just
>> looking for some "why" type stuff if anyone would like to share their
>> experience and or decision making scenarios with me. This can be done
>> off list or on maybe it would benefit some others?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Alex White
>

> One reason for going 64-bit is larger address space for applications. If
> you are not doing high-resolution Finite-Element analysis or C.F.D. or
> astro-physics, the i386 would probably be OK. Of course, there is then
> the question of 'Why did you buy an Opteron/Athlon64, only to run a
> 32-bit OS ?' :-)
<snipped>

Thanks for the response. I'm certainly not doing any of that. I
did however come into the athlon64 by chance and decided to run
with it. It's my desktop PC and runs CentOS 4.1 (fully updated of
course) and my router/web/ftp/mail server runs i386 CentOS 4.1.

Not noticing anything unstable, other than gftp; however, I was
just curious about the implications of having x86_64 arch and
what not. Thanks again.

Alex White