[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Wed Sep 14 18:30:37 UTC 2005
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 12:00 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> I'd like to comment on this list to say that despite earlier reports
> saying that I had fixed my YUM problems, it still freezes my computer
> every now and again. I've been told this might be because I have too
> little free space on my hard drive, so I cleared over 9 gigs, and it
> still freezes sometimes. I was told my RPM database was screwed, so I
> rebuilt the database and it still freezes.
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is now, but I do know that on the one hand
> YUM seems like a great idea, and when it does work, I think it's really
> cool. But something is not right with it, and I don't even have error
> messages which let me know what went wrong, so I can't say that I would
> recommend YUM.

	Overall it sounds like this is a problem specific to your system.  As
such it is not likely to be a yum problem.

	I'm not defending yum.  It's just that the assumptions you make to get
to your conclusion of not being able to recommend yum are flawed and
unlikely to apply to anyone except yourself.

--
Joe Klemmer <joe at webtrek.com>
Linux/UNIX System Administrator | Linux Instructor | Resident Hacker