[CentOS] CentOS 4U2 timing.

Thu Sep 15 10:26:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 12:07 +0300, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:49:06AM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >
> > Working together, we can basically ensure that the i386/x86_64/ia64 are
> > all done and released together for 4.2. There should be no problems with
> > that. The other slower ARCH's can come when they are ready.
>
> That's the plan. Bad wording from Johnny, but i took it as written, so
>

> > Ideal situation would be to have all ARCH's release together, but we
> > dont have either the infrastructure or the people required to achieve that.
> >
> > btw, you think we will see a s390(x) for 4.2 ?
>
> s390(x) can't hold the release. We/I have always agreed that. making
> usage of emulator will take some time (gcc alone tales some 40-50 hours
> to compile, so ...) and the s390(x) is released when ready.
>
> I don't see no reason not making 4.2 of s390(x) as we did release both
> s390 and s390x as 4.1 already :)
>

> To end this now: I do agree that most of the user space is i386 (sadly
> even x86-64 can't come even near of the user space of i386). That
> doesn't still mean that it's something exclusive. I myself find i386
> boring and don't even do any development on that area. x86-64 is so so,
> but i is quite boring now after some two years of supported
> distributions (back November 2003 it was quite interesting and did have
> some real hacking value in it).
>
> Basically this all started from bad wording which made me feel like
> saying few words about the rest of the stuff just laying there for
> users that might value it over i386 any day.
>
> But lets not fight about this. It's not worth it :)

Pasi ... what I meant was, since i386 is the vast majority of our user
space, we will work on that with the highest priority (at least for
4.2 ... I don't control 3.x).  I know that you also always have ia-64
done on or before that time too (and I / we appreciate all your hard
work to maintain 7 arches :)

Ideally, we will release i386 and whatever else we have ready at the
same time (on the first release) and release everything else later
(usually within a week).

If there are problems with packages in i386, but they build on other
arches, so that i386 will have to be delayed, but the others can be
released, then we can release other arches before i386.

I think we can work it so that I am doing i386, you are doing ia-64 (and
your other distros) and Karanbir is doing x86_64 at the same time, so
the 3 major arches should be done about the same time this release
cycle.

It is not worth fighting over, and it is not meant to slight anyone
else, just to release the arch with the large majority of users first so
there is less confusion .... but, seriously, if we have your arch(es)
done and it looks like it will be more than a day with i386, then we
will release your arch(es) first (at least on 4.x).