[CentOS] Capturing audio streams with Linux?

Thu Sep 15 15:41:33 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>> So I got a new Pocket PC this weekend (yes, you read that
>> right, sorry, don't like the Palms on offer currently
>
> Did you try the Treos?  I really can't stand a "start bar" in
> a palm.  Slows me down.  But to each his own.

Understand. My price point is lower, unfortunately. Around $300. And at
that price point it's Tungstens and Zires. And all of them either have
poor displays (visually) or that screen whine problem. Like you said, it's
a personal preference thing and beside the point.

>> and I can at least install software on it via Windows on
>> VMWare).
>
> Which means you're running Windows, no difference.
>
> Again, to each his own, but I like a device I have total
> control over under Linux.  I've been using a Treo 600 for
> over a year, a Kyocera 7135 for 2 years before that and a
> Kyocerta 6035 2 years before that (going back to early 2001).

Which really is beside the point and I probably shouldn't have mentioned
it so this didn't turn into a "why aren't you using Linux and a Palm"
issue.

>> One of the main things I wanted to do with it is get
>> Audible.com again and listen to All Things Considered from
>> NPR on the way home like I used to. Now I find out they not
>> only don't have an agreement with Audible any longer
>> where I can pay them for this service, but now they are
>> podcasting, but not the whole show. *sigh*
>> So what to do.... My thinking is to capture the stream from
>> local affiliate and time shift until I leave work.
>> But how do I do this (I know how to use dump with mplayer
>> for this) without getting one gigantic file? Anyone have
>> any experience with this?
>
> No, but mplayer can split files IIRC.

That's what I want to know. How do I take a stream and have it split the
pieces of the real audio stream as they come in? It's taking them in as a
playlist and dumping them into one big mp3 file. And that file is too
unweildy for using with the MP3 player on my device, I fear. Besides, I
don't want to have to copy that whole file at once. Or I'd like to be able
to encode manually at a lower bitrate. Right now I'm using the command...

/usr/bin/mplayer -playlist http://<servername>/feed.pls -dumpaudio
-dumpfile atc.mp3

Preston