[CentOS] Capturing audio streams with Linux?

Thu Sep 15 16:49:51 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>> Understand. My price point is lower, unfortunately. Around
>> $300.
>
> The Treo 600 is available for $149 from most providers
> nowdays, maybe $249 if you already have a provider.  Even the
> Treo 650 is $299.

Do we have to do this? I made my choice. I already have a cell phone.

>> And at that price point it's Tungstens and Zires.
>> And all of them either have poor displays (visually)
>
> Palm doesn't require a high-res display like a start-bar type
> environment.  Furthermore, the Treo 650 does have a better
> display with higher resolution.  I haven't seen anyone
> offering it for less than $299.

Right, and I paid $300 for a device that fits my needs. Why do we have to
do this again?

>> or that screen whine problem.
>
> ???  How about the "battery whine" problem with Pocket PC
> ???
> ;->
>
>> Like you said, it's a personal preference thing and beside
>> the point.
>
> I use mine for calender, contact, MP3, PDF ref, etc...

So do I.

>> That's what I want to know. How do I take a stream and have
>> it split the pieces of the real audio stream as they come
>> in? It's taking them in as a playlist and dumping them into
>> one big mp3 file.
>
> I could have swore there was an option to split on X size in
> mencoder.

No idea.

>> And that file is too unweildy for using with the MP3 player
>> on my device, I fear.
>
> No SD/MMC slot?  My Kyocera 7135 / Treo 600 have been
> Godsends because they have that nice, small, little slot in
> their tough, rugged designs (I dropped the crap out of my
> phones -- and I've seen Pocket PCs crack on half the height).

*sigh*

Listen, my current cell phone works fine for me. I bike 20 miles a day to
work. So I need my phone to be separate from my PDA so it can fly out of
my bike shorts and slam on the ground at 30 mph. My PDA has a different
usage pattern. So I'm not going to return my Pocket PC based on your
recommendation. Can you stop with this?

I have an SD slot, my point is that I don't want to load up one gigantic
MP3 file into the MP3 player application.

>> Besides, I don't want to have to copy that whole file at
>> once. Or I'd like to be able to encode manually at a lower
>> bitrate.
>
> ???  Mencoder has a lot of options, try'em out.

Okay.

>> Right now I'm using the command...
>> /usr/bin/mplayer -playlist http://<servername>/feed.pls
>> -dumpaudio -dumpfile atc.mp3
>
> Depending on your MPlayer is built, it may take all the
> mencoder options.  Play with them (hit the man page).
> Definitely RTFM here, sorry, but that's it.

Well, you should have just said RTFM and left it at that, probably.

Preston