[CentOS] Installing Java on X86_64 CentOS 4.1

Mon Sep 19 15:17:57 UTC 2005
David Johnston <david at littlebald.com>

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 05:51 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 23:20 -0400, David Johnston wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 19:37 +0200, Kai wrote:
> > > I have some problems installing java support to my browser (firefox).
> > > This support I installed with no problem when running the 32 bit version
> > > on the same machine, but now I can't find the plugin.
> >
> > I'll second the suggestion to run the 32-bit browser.
> > What do we gain by using a 64-bit version of Firefox?  So many of the
> > plugins won't work with it & aren't available in 64bit.
> >
> > If there's no gain, would it not make sense to stop building the 64-bit
> > version and default to the 32-bit version?
>
> Maybe ... but we build it like the upstream provider.  They release
> firefox only as an x86_64 version for el4 ... therefore so do we.

So should we file reports in Red Hat's bugzilla or lobby you to make an
exception in this case? ;-)

The current system (64-bit browser) breaks things and requires manual
intervention to get things working.  If you stop building Firefox for
64-bit architectures, yum will fall back to the 32-bit versions which
work, meaning that no manual intervention will be required.

-David