[CentOS] Uniprocessor kernel booted after YUM update

Tue Sep 20 15:36:57 UTC 2005
Jim Bartus <jbartus at advance.net>

Dr R L Oswald wrote:
> Recently, yum installed an updated kernel 2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp;  when we
> got around to rebooting, we found that some of the machines were running
> the uniprocessor kernel 2.4.21-32.0.1.EL , showing only a single cpu.
> The grub.conf file had been modified in the usual pushdown manner but
> the default kernel had been set at #2 instead of #0.

I had an extremely similar thing happen to me on a RHEL3 box when I
applied update 5.  I didn't notice it for a few days so I just assumed I
had made a mistake, but your post inclines me to believe its a bug in
the upgrade scripts.

-jim