[CentOS] upgrade release to upstream to CentOS timeframes?

Tue Sep 20 20:41:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 13:36 -0700, Robert wrote:
> } Johnny Hughes wrote...
> }
> } Right ... during the lifetime of CentOS-4, it will most likely be
> } httpd-2.0.52-*
> }
> } IF (not likely) the upstream el4 distro changes to a newer version, so
> } will CentOS.
> }
> } CentOS's goal is to have the exact same versions as the upstream el4
> } distro.
>
> i appreciate the info
>
> under what circumstance(s), if any, does the upstream bail on it's normal
> policy and procedure and include a large package update whether it is for
> httpd or anything else as an upgrade ???
>
> to me, it is "kinda" actually happening behind the scenes when they backport
> security patches etc... YET... is it just really based upon the fact that
> they actually charge for support and want to keep things somewhat more
> manageable on a broader scale when dealing the the public in general or??

Their policy is here:

http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html

Basically, they will upgrade items that do not break functionality ...
but will backport security fixes that do break functionality.  So
Mozilla, FireFox, etc. will get upgraded ... xorg, gnome, kde, httpd,
etc. will get backports.