[CentOS] Is it bad for my web document folder to be user accessible?

Wed Sep 21 03:11:04 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 21:22, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> On my computer, really the only user is me, sometimes being a regular
> user, and sometimes being a super user.
>
> Should I make a group that includes me in regular user mode, or somehow
> grant permissions to me as an individual.

Individual is easier unless you expect to need to extend access to
others.

> And... um... how do I do that?

chown -R username target

> Is it:
> chmod 775 -R /var/www/html/

If you need to change access permissions also, the symbolic
modes are easier to remember.  For example:

chmod u+rw ...  add read and write access for user (owner)
chmod o+r  ... add read access for other (everyone)
chmod o-w  ... remove write access for other.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com