[CentOS] Can't get JRE to install so that FireFox sees it

Wed Sep 21 14:43:24 UTC 2005
William A. Mahaffey III <wam at HiWAAY.net>

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

>Hot on the heels of the success of getting sound to work with FireFox, I
>am on to getting Java applets to run.
>
>When I go to a page with a Java applet, I get the little Rubik's cube-
>like icon that says I can click to download. So I do, but FireFox says
>it can't find it, so I have to install manually.
>
>I click on Manual install and I'm taken to a page that allows me to
>download the RPM within a ".bin" file. That's new to me, but I'm game. I
>download it and follow the install instructions. It makes me create
>a /usr/java directory, and open the .bin file there.
>
>I have to go through a whole license text file, but in the end it says
>it's installed.
>
>I check in the directory, and there's a jre directory and an RPM file. I
>wonder why the RPM file is there if it's already installed. I try to
>install using RPM, and it says it's already installed, so I decide I
>believe it.
>
>I re-open FireFox... and going to the same web page I was at before with
>the Java applet, I'm presented with the same screen saying I need to
>install the plug in.
>
>What am I doing wrong with the installation?
>

>Dave

I just dealt w/ this this A.M. w/ SuSE 8.2 :-). I think you need to put
a soft-link in your mozilla plugins directory as such:

(cd /opt/mozilla/plugins/; ln -s
/usr/lib/java/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so javaplugin_oji.so)

You need to be root to do this. If CentOS installs the Java Runtime
Environment (jre) in a different place (other than /usr/lib/java,
apparently /usr/java for you), use that path instead of the one I gave
you. I got this info from the mozilla website. YMMV & all that.

--
	William A. Mahaffey III
	Remember, ignorance is bliss, but