[CentOS] Safe to use gstreamer repository for RH or Fedora?

Wed Sep 21 15:38:31 UTC 2005
Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com>

> It may be that mp3 support was ripped out by upstream to avoid legal issues,
> but that may be resolved by a few packages available from dag such as
> gstreamer-ffmpeg.

Hmmm... I'm not sure what to make of this result. I installed the file
from Dag that you suggested, and now Rhythmbox recognizes MP3 files,
whereas before it wouldn't even load them.

But when I press play, it graphically shows the file playing (the timer
counter moves along), but no sound comes out of my speakers.

I double checked and XMMS no longer plays MP3s either.

So, did the gstreamer-ffmpeg possibly do this, or might this have
something to do with my recent fix to FireFox to get it playing sound?

Dave