[CentOS] FWIW...

Wed Sep 21 16:15:43 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 06:47 -0700, Dave Laird wrote:
> 2. Of course, as nearly always is the case, regardless of which platform
> I've been using, I had to manually install the Java runtime and create a
> link for it in my Firefox configuration. It's not really a glitch; more
> like it is a fact of life.

Yeah. There are yum packages (especially if you use dag's repository)
for things like Flash and of course mplayer for quicktime. But for Java
you do have to symlink the plugin. That's been life with Linux for some
time. The only distros that do/did that out of the box are ones like
SuSE, which pay Sun to package Java with the distro. I prefer it this
way, personally, though, as a Java developer. This way I hand-install
everything, I have exactly the version I want and I know where it's
located.

> Life goes on.

It's a great desktop, but as with anything, it all depends on how you
plan on using it. If games or multimedia running out of the box are
important, then Ubuntu is probably a better bet. Otherwise, I find
CentOS to be the best workstation distro I've ever used.

Preston