[CentOS] Uniprocessor kernel booted after YUM update

Wed Sep 21 16:32:02 UTC 2005
Dr R L Oswald <L.Oswald at cranfield.ac.uk>

Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Dr R L Oswald wrote:
>
>> Mystery Solved!
>> Karanbir Singh gave a clue by suggesting the dsiabling of the splash
>> screen at which point the magic word "LILO" flashed up briefly on the
>> screen.
>>
>> It appears that the machines which were affected all had lilo
>> installed but not configured as bootloader. These machines are all
>> configured
>

> If the word LILO pop'ed up - then it is setup to be the bootloader.
> And would explain why changes to grub.conf were having no effect.

Now I knoiw what I am looking for, I found that in fact only three
machines were affected & we have now recovered from the situation (&
avoided it happening again)

>> identically using a kickstart script. This script does not have lilo
>> enabled in the bootloader. How they actually came to have lilo
>> installed is a bit of a mystery as all the rest plainly do not have
>> it. However
>

> try "rpm -qa --last"
>
> That should give you an idea as to when the packages were installed.

Well all at time of installation of Centos 3.5, I still don't understand
where lilo came from!

>> when the kernel update was installed by yum, it looked for a
>> bootloader & picked on lilo instead of grub in machines with lilo
>> installed.
>>
>> I the log files of affected systems:
>>
>> Kernel Updated/Installed, checking for bootloader
>> Lilo found - adding kernel to lilo and making it the default
>

> If you are interested in the process, look at /sbin/new-kernel-pkg -
> thats the script called to install / remove config's for a kernel
> package.

OK Thanks for the info & help I guess we can close this discussion now :-)

Les