[CentOS] Recommendation On Ping And Alert Tool

Fri Sep 23 12:07:47 UTC 2005
William A. Mahaffey III <wam at HiWAAY.net>

Steven Vishoot wrote:

>--- "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam at HiWAAY.net> wrote:
>

>>CentOS mailing list wrote:

>>to this question

>>would go to the gurus. :-)

>>other devices and

>>aware of all kinds of

>>bells and whistles

>>tool (could be

>>every 1 - 5 minutes and

>>basic logic like

>>down (vs sending an

>>:-)  We need to

>>web-GUI would

>>would probably be best).
>>

>>>Bash. Here is what I use for monitoring my website
>>>
>>>#!/bin/bash
>>>
>>>URL="http://www.911networks.com"
>>>EMAIL="artsi at fartsi.com"
>>>
>>>lynx -dump "$URL" > /dev/null
>>>if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>>>    echo "`date "+%F %T"` - $URL is down" | mail
>>>

>>-s "$URL is down" $EMAIL
>>

>>>fi
>>>
>>>Watch for the wraps and make it executable [chmod
>>>

>>7xx]
>>

>>This is the sort of thing I was going to suggest.
>>You could go 1 better
>>& have it resubmit itself periodically w/ at(1).
>>Maybe get it to do some
>>argument parsing so you could pass in the URL,
>>EMAIL, then invoke plural
>>instances for however many things you want to
>>monitor ....
>>
>>--
>>	William A. Mahaffey III

>My question is wouldnt this keep on sending emails all
>the time ping keeps on seeing it is down. I thought
>one of the requirements was once for each occurance? I
>probably am reading this wrong...
>
>Steven
>

>"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section, it said 'Requires Windows or better'. So I installed Linux."

It wouldn't have to. You would probably structure the script to E-mail
if the device was down & then exit. It would re-submit itself if the
device were up :-).

--
	William A. Mahaffey III
	Remember, ignorance is bliss, but