[CentOS] Bryan Smith: Thanks for the IPCop recommendation

Fri Sep 23 20:52:00 UTC 2005
Bill Maltby <wild-bill at triad.rr.com>

>On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 18:39 -0400, Bill Maltby wrote:
>

>>> A few weeks back I had tried to install CentOS on my old AMD 5x6x (equiv
>>> to P75 performance) with plans to use it as my firewall and router.
>>> Because there were some problems relating to RPM compile architecture
>>> (apparently), I posted and Bryan suggested IPCop, even at peril to his
>>> life on these lists  ;-)
>>> according to him.  ;-)    ;-)
>>>
>>> Just wanted to tell him thanks, it's worked out well. Had three old ISA
>>> NICs (3Com combos BNC and TP), configured them for 3 different IRQs and
>>> IOBEG addresses and have it working beautifully. Have 3 zones and a
>>> recent download of several files sized *teen megabytes and larger gave
>>> me throughput of 590-600 KB/sec off my cable modem. I am out in the
>>> low-density boonies, but I still feel this is fairly impressive.
>>>
>>> They even have a boot diskette available to support those old BIOS that
>>> won't boot CDs, as this unit was.
>>>
>>> So, thanks Bryan.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to configure a backup unit on an old Aptiva DX2/66. Have 1
>>> ISA Etherjet. Need a couple more ISA NICS that are configurable for
>>> IRQ/IOBASE. Anyone that wants to put two old good ISA NICS into a home
>>> where they will be cared for and appreciated, send me an email with
>>> details, if config diskette available (even if off the net), price, etc.
>>> I'll pay shipping too. Remove the underscores in the following address.
>>>
>>>       w_ild-_bi_ll_ at _tra_id._rr._c_o_m
>>

>----
># 1 - Bryan asked to be prevented from posting

That's a shame. Just finished going through the digests and saw it all.
Too bad the he and his adversaries couldn't work things out.

># 2 - ipcop is a slam dunk for your hardware and what you are trying to
>accomplish

Yep. It was great. The only thing left to investigate is to see what it
takes to get these NICs to do full duplex (do I want this?) to my switch
(I think it's possible, have to do some reading). I configured them that
way, but upon boot something in IPCop seems to set them to half duplex.

># 3 - your email address after removing the underscores doesn't match
>the email address that you sent your email with.

:O Dyslexic keyboard interface digits! "triad", not "traid" is correct
result. Wasted effort anyway. I notice that the mail system puts it all
at the top of the posts but for changing "@" to "at". Oh well

># 4 - you should have no problems picking them up new & used on ebay...
>hint search 'ISA NIC' - you will find buy-it-now pricing for $ 4.99 and
>probably can bid on some for less.

Good idea. Thx.

>Craig

Bill