[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4

Mon Sep 26 20:29:27 UTC 2005
Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com>

Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Yes, Jarod's guide has some good info for getting X to run out the
> PVR-350.  I run the master backend on my main TV with just the
> connection to the TV.  As part of that setup you create a new initrd
> file so it switches all output to the PVR-350 early on in the boot up.

Groovy! I also found several detailed instructions on getting X running on the 350.
Now I can say bye-bye to the Radeon 7000 and just use the VGA that's onboard the
motherboard during setup. That'll leave another slot for capture cards. UPS just
showed up with my PVR-350...

> I have not worked with the DVD much yet.  On my todo list. :)  I have
> read where it should be possible to run xine out the PVR-350 but it is
> not clear to me if the quality is going to be acceptable.  Until then I
> use the old Apex DVD player.

I hope this works. Replacing the DVD player in the AV shelving is a primary goal for me.

> There are three main parts to a mythtv system, the mysql database,
> mythbackend, and mythfrontend.  You need ONE mysql database, it can be
> on any system you want but is typically on the first mythbackend system
> you setup.  The mythbackend process runs on any system you have capture
> cards in.  The master backend is the one with the mysql database.
>
> Any system you want to watch recordings on you will run mythfrontend.
>
> In most cases the first box will run all three.
>
> The slave backends will run a mythbackend process and can run a
> mythfrontend process if you are using them to view recordings.
>
> I eventually want to setup diskless frontend systems that boot from the
> network and only run the mythfrontend process.

Ooh, good idea! Added to Future Project list.

> You want at least two so you can record two shows at once or watch live
> TV through the mythtv box and record a show at the same time.  You don't
> have to have a capture card available to watch recordings.

Duh! I forgot about that scenario. Note to self - plan to get another tuner.

> Start with one capture card to get it working.  Then you can easily add
> a second card.  I installed a PVR-250 in the first box as a second
> card.  Takes just a minute or two to add it.   You just run mythtv-setup
> again and add the card and video source.  The system then starts using
> it.

I'm glad it's that easy.

> I tried a PVR-500 card in the second box...

Too bad that's not working. But since it's easy to add cards, it sounds like I can
afford to wait until support for that card settles out.

> I over built the first mythtv box.  Hindsight I would build a tower
> system with the TB of disk and run several capture cards and mythbackend
> on that system.  Would tuck that one back in the office.  I would then
> build diskless frontend systems for each TV.  An additional backend
> system might be needed to get four capture cards running.  But if the
> PVR-500 can work I would use a couple of those.

Right now I'm going to go with just the scenario you describe: everything on this one
box. Already have a 'house server' in the garage providing net connection, etc. I
hope to upgrade it at some point and make it the backend with a bunch of raided,
hot-swap storage. Maybe do video capture too on it. Your idea to do diskless
workstations is a good one. Might even be able to do something fanless!

Just did the ATrpms install of mythtv-suite. That's a lot of packages! But no errors,
thankfully. We'll see how the PVR-350 works now.

Kirk Bocek