[CentOS] booting from copied ext3 software raid fs to normal fs

Tue Sep 27 06:20:03 UTC 2005
Sean O'Connell <oconnell at soe.ucsd.edu>

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 07:49 +0200, dan1 wrote:
> >> I tried your suggestion, but it can't even start linux in single mode.
> >> I think that there is a mount problem, but I have double checked the
> >> fstab
> >> file seated on the backup drive and it seems fine to me. Therefore I
> >> can't
> >> understand what prevents the mount to be made properly. Would the vmlinuz
> >> or
> >> initrd images be dependent of the md or hd filesystem type or are they
> >> exactly the same for both ? Else what other file should I touch that
> >> involves the mounting operation ?
> >
> >If you boot the install CD in rescue mode, does it find the
> >installed system correctly and mount it under /mnt/sysimage?
> >You mentioned an attempt to set up md devices before - are
> >the partition types set to ext3 in fdisk?  Are you sure
> >you have the correct contents in /boot/grub/grub.conf
> >(the one in /etc is  a symlink that can be broken if
> >things aren't mounted as expected when you modify it).
> >
> >--
> >  Les Mikesell
> >    lesmikesell at gmail.com
>
> Hello, Les.
>
> Yes, I can run linux in rescue mode with the CD and see the correct root
> partition. I have also checked the contents of the /boot/grub/grub.conf and
> it is ok. In fstab I have also put ext3 for that backup disk.
> below are my important files on the backup disk:
>
> The output of the boot sequence output is the following:
>
> Mounting sysfs
> Creating /dev
> Starting udev
> md: raid1 personnality registered as nr 3
> md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
> md: autorun ...
> md: ... autorun DONE.
> md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
> md: autorun ...
> md: ... autorun DONE.
> md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
> md: autorun ...
> md: ... autorun DONE.
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> mount: error 2 mounting none
> Switching to new root
> SElinux: Disabled at runtime
> SElinux: Unregistering netfilter hooks
>
> Then, it hangs here undefinitely.
>

> Here is my menu.lst grub file on the backup disk I want to boot from:
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title CentOS (2.6.9-11.106.unsupported)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported root=/dev/hda3
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported.img
>
> Here is it's fstab:
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> [...]

Daniel-

One more thought, what is in /boot/grub/device.map? You may need to boot
into the rescue mode

chroot /mnt/sysimage
edit /boot/grub/device.map so that (hd0) is /dev/hda and then run

grub-install /dev/hda

--
Sean