[CentOS] Converting from RHEL to CentOS questions.

Thu Sep 29 23:26:56 UTC 2005
John Newbigin <jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au>

Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> On 9/25/05, *John Newbigin* <jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
> <mailto:jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au>> wrote:
>
>     RHEL2.1 -> CentOS-2 is very simple.
>     See http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/centos-2/migration.htm
>     for specific instructions "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS/ES/WS x86
>     Live Errata Update to CentOS-2"
>

> The upgrade went perfect, except for one thing: I had to reboot under my
> old kernel, rather than the CentOS one, because the module for my NIC
> was missing (bcm5700.o). Where can I get one for the  CentOS kernel, so
> that I can run it and any subsequent kernels that come out?
CentOS-2 does have bcm5700.o.  A depmod might resolve that problem, but
I recommend that you use tg3.o instead.  We have had problems with the
bcm drivers in the past but the tg3 works well for us these days. (Our
servers have 'Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5703X Gigabit Ethernet
(rev 02)')

Just edit your /etc/modules.conf and change it to include:
alias eth0 tg3

as appropriate.

John.