[CentOS] SSH + VNC

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 18:01:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 11:29, Ryan wrote:

> >> Does anyone have any ideas why vncserver won't start?
> >>

> > It sounds like you misunderstand what the vncserver service does.  It just
> > starts vncservers for you (check the config in /etc/sysconfig/vncserver
> > IIRC).  It does not share the console.  For that you need to configure
> > something like the vnc loadable module (
> > http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/x0.html ).
> >

> Shouldn't vino do that for me?
>
> I must be confused on the proper way to do this in CentOS.
>
> Under SUSE 10.0, fire up krdb and you're set. Remote VNC users can
> tunnel in. Does anyone know how, or have any links on how-tos, for the
> CentOS way of doing this?

I'm not really sure about this, but I thought vino was
gnome-specific and krdb was kde-specific, where adding
the 'Load  "vnc" to the Modules section of your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file works with any window manager as
long as X is running.  If you want sessions other than the
console, you can use vncserver for long-running sessions
that allow you to disconnect and reconnect or you can
configure xinetd to start new sessions on demand.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com