[CentOS] newbie kernel question

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Sat Apr 1 21:49:10 UTC 2006

That's because 98% of the time recompiling the kernel is not something you
really want to do, and the remaining 2% of the time you just use
rpmbuild --rebuild kernel-.....src.rpm

And if that doesn't work _then_ you're out of luck (the above works for me
with a couple different kernels).  Want to change something?  Unpack the
srpm into the appropriate directories (just install the src.rpm) and edit
the spec file and configuration files and or add kernel patches to the
spec file, etc...

Of course you should do all the above as a non-root user for safeties
sake, but that's a tad harder (need to have a good macro file - here's
mine, although it's rather minimal and not all that good:
~/.rpmmacros:
%packager	Maciej Zenczykowski
%distribution	CentOS4
%vendor		TCS-II-UJ
%_signature	gpg
%_gpg_name	maze at tcs.ii.uj.edu.pl
%_gpg_path	~/.gnupg

%_topdir	/home/buildcentos/rpm
%_tmppath	%{_topdir}/tmp

#%_rpmtopdir	%{_topdir}/%{name}
#%_builddir	%{_rpmtopdir}/BUILD
#%_rpmdir	%{_rpmtopdir}/RPMS
#%_sourcedir	%{_rpmtopdir}/SOURCES
#%_specdir	%{_rpmtopdir}/SPECS
#%_srcrpmdir	%{_rpmtopdir}/SRPMS

%disttag	centos4
%repotag	maze

# Change default RPM query format to show ARCH
%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}
# %_query_all_fmt %%{epoch}:%%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

Cheers,
MaZe.