[CentOS] newbie kernel question

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sun Apr 2 01:35:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 17:08 -0800, Ogdan Nicole's wrote:

> --- "William L. Malt by" <Bills CentOS at triad.RR.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 00:44 +0100, Ian mu wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > This is not directed at you, but I must say it for
> > others. As Jim(?)
> > said, if CentOS philosophy, design, implementation,
> > support, ... is not
> > for you, other projects may be more appropriate.
> > Others have complained
> > about having to work through the undesired parts of
> > the answers and
> > said, in effect, "Just tell me what I want to here
> > and shut up about the
> > other stuff".
> >
> > Doesn't work that way. I hope it never does.
> ><snip Sig stuff>

> Bill,
>
> "[sarcasm]And all this time, decade+, I though the
> ability to recompile especially the kernel was the
> main difference/advantage between a source based O.S.
> and a binary-only O.S. I don't know how you came out
> with the statistics but I have a funny feeling you are
> 100% wrong.[/sarcasm]"
>
> What was intended to be under sarcasm, was carefully
> delimited.  Everything else was not sarcastic.

I didn't recognize that delineation meant that it was to be ignored. My
apologies for that.

> I have no problem with a project's philosophy, but
> when different signals are being sent out, and
> conversations on the topic end up either in history
> lectures, aggressive tones and/or closed threads, than
> I want to find out as quickly possible who or what I'm
> dealing with.
>
> If CentOS philosophy is to discourage recompilation
> for whatever reason, than they should say so.  But
> that is not the signal I see from this post:
>
> http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=180923&cid=14969413
>
> Simple question... simple defintive CAPITALIZED answer
> (speaking of net properness)... but then god forbid
> someone asks "How?" because you get a lecture in
> everything else except on how.

Be a little more thoughtful about that? A list/project is not a single-
minded individual. There will be different takes on how to respond to
things out of the ordinary. Some will just feed you facts and let you go
down in flames (not intentional I'm sure). Others will try to pass on
hard-won lessons to save you from grief they may have experienced
(intentional I'm sure). Some will echo the "party line" because they
believe so strongly in the team aspect of a project. And since you are
an unknown quantity... you get the best of all of them. :-)

On kernel/hacker lists, the briefest possible answer with the least
amount of humanly possible tolerance (I'll stop the pejoratives there)
is expected and, therefore, appropriate. Not all lists are like that.

> Jim thank you for the leads.

Anyway, I see you're getting (eventually) what you want. Hope you enjoy,
it works for you and  you have other opportunities to see a "better
side" of this project, from your PROV.

Bill