[CentOS] newbie kernel question

Sun Apr 2 11:50:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 20:15 -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> > Jim thank you for the leads.
>
> Sure, but actually, Johnny had it right on the money. I forgot about
> the kernel notation in the release notes. It's very similar to what
> was posted in previous threads, and probably has that "Official" tone
> you were hunting for.

The question was, can you do it .. you can

as to whether or not you SHOULD do it .. that is a different question
entirely.

Unless you know more about building kernels than the RH development team
and/or the CentOS development team ... or unless you have a problem that
can not be solved in ANY OTHER WAY ... then you should use the stock
kernel.

The stability of the kernel and the way it interacts with the rest of
the system IS what makes CentOS.  It is an Enterprise solution that is
not latest/greatest.  If you change the kernel, stuff starts breaking.

Example ... we have a bug report where the new ssh (which requires
kernel auditing) doesn't properly list users with the "w" command.  Only
people with this problem ... the ones not using the standard CentOS
kernel.  Reason ... in this case the new kernel REQUIRES the audit and
audit-lib packages to be installed ... which they don't have since they
rolled their own kernel.

There are hundreds of packages added to the CentOS kernel by the
upstream developers that are not in the kernel.org kernels ... everyone
of those has a purpose to be there and many are required to make other
parts of CentOS function.  You should NEVER change the kernel or glibc
unless it is absolutely required.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?